PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scavenging a crashed 777: for a book
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2015, 17:20
kenpimentel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In response to Mechta
re: tyres
That's a novel way to build a steam engine! Not sure how it could be modified to continuously supply steam. That is my ultimate goal. Maybe it is used to store steam energy from another source. But if it doesn't have a relief valve, then it will go kaboom if you're not careful.

re: IED
Thanks for reminding me to use the oxygen as an oxidizer for a more powerful explosion.

re: carbon fiber
Yes, I'm hoping some of the panels in the plane can lend themselves to things like bows or maybe a small catapult.

re: plumbing
Thanks for all the details! I've been wondering about that for a long time. I can see the elements exist for making some form of steam boiler and/or cannons/bombs.

In response to Genghis:
re: crossbow vs longbow:
Based on my research, the longbow, while much easier to make and more lethal at longer ranges, requires way to much training. The English were such good longbowmen because they had years and years of practice. The crossbow is the fastest, most lethal weapon at a distance of 10-20 yards that requires limited experience to shoot. Especially against armor. Sure, you can get lucky with a spear from that distance. BTW, as I mentioned spears are being used, I just want something more sophisticated.

re: martial arts
Yes, I fully expect that someone will be training the PAX in these skills. However, it takes time to learn them well enough to defend yourself successfully, but thanks for reminding me to mention it as part of the "plan" for the defense force.

re: plot
I haven't revealed much, so I can understand why you might think it related. But the island is not "mysterious" in any way shape or form. This isn't an episode of "Lost".