PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lufthansa: random medication tests for pilots
Old 23rd May 2015, 13:58
skyhighfallguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read early papers on what might be expected of pilots at the dawn of the jet age. There was great concern that the human mind might not be able to handle the speed. This was a genuine concern.

There are terrible side effects to modern airline flying for the pilots. Even 25 years ago the side effects were taken care of by less flying, better hotels, more pay, more days off. More pay allowed for more recreation time on days off .

I am in favor of such drug testing as long as:

1. Samples are split, different labs doing the work (absolute truth in testing)

2. That pilots who for some reason are taking or consider taking these drugs be allowed ALL THE SICK TIME they need to get over the problem so they don't have to take the drug. THIS MEANS that you pay the pilot full pay if he isn't well and you do it for the duration of the illness all the way to an honorable retirement.

I remember the days when all you had to do was call the chief pilot and say: I need time off to deal with my wife's problem . Chief pilot would say: FINE, call me when you are ready to fly again, we will keep sending you your pay, we want you to be well.

THIS IS SIMPLY NOT THE CASE anymore.

THE PUREST TEST FOR A PILOT IS THIS, more than a drug test, more than a psych exam: IF THE PILOT IS HAPPY TO GO FLYING, he is well. IF HE DREADS going flying, something is wrong.

The career was great and most of the time I look forward to flying. But things have changed, are changing and NOT for the better.