PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you know how this can happen?
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2015, 15:59
le Pingouin

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
As I've said previously, you're talking to the wrong end of the ATC animal. Your management needs to talk to our management for change to be implemented. We work within a system so, as such, work the way the system is designed to work. I have to work within the confines of the system as it exists. Provide me with a system that works the way you want it and I'll do it.

I'm sorry but as a line controller I sometimes don't have time to worry about the niceties. Maybe I'm too damn busy to consider you earlier than I absolutely have to so you get your 10 minute delay when you call me. Other times I'll have enough time to look out a bit and tell the sector that has you there's roughly a 10 minute delay so speed reduction approved. Assuming I can get a word in. Maybe they're really busy and here I am trying to bother them with non safety-critical information.

You have one aircraft to manage. I have 20 or however many so my attention is spread accordingly thinly.

I fully understand it's more efficient to manage a delay over a longer period and that more can be achieved the more warning you have but sometimes I just don't have the time to do anything about it.

I'll give you unrestricted climb to your desired level at the speed you want via your preferred routing when I can. When I can't you'll be held down, slowed down and vectored. Same goes for the delays. Sometimes you'll get it the way you want and other times you won't.