PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best training airplane?
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2015, 15:56
Big Pistons Forever

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Cows getting bigger
Perhaps we should take the sting out of discussion. Personally, I think the following attributes are essential for a PPL training aircraft:

Balanced controls
The ability to clearly demonstrate the primary and secondary effects of all controls (including power/throttle).
An aircraft that rewards use of rudder
Relatively benign behaviour when executing a go-around (not totally benign, just something that allows the student to learn)
Predictable stall characteristics, demonstrating all the attributes that one could expect including buffet and wing drop.
Forgiving in the landing, notably aversion to PIOs and excessive bounces.

FUN! Something that doesn't intimidate the student.
I think that is a pretty good list and the C 150 pretty much ticks every box

I have flown the Chipmunk and it is one of the nicest handling aircraft I have ever flown however from a commercial perspective it is a disaster though. Realistically a school would have to charge twice the hourly rate of a C 150, or even more to make it pay.

My advice is find a good instructor, learn in one of the common trainers, get your PPL and then search out the cool airplanes.

However if you do one thing post PPL,do this. Take an introductory aerobatic course. Even if you think you won't like aerobatics do it anyway, it will massively increase your personal skills and confidence in controlling the aircraft and you might be very surprised how much fun you are having by the end of the course.