PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 78 Sqn Chinook Crash (20 years ago)
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2015, 12:27
bollidear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to jump on this thread, but I spend around a year in the Falklands around this time as part of the Henlow Fitting Party - often flying between the mountain tops with 78 Sqn and the Erics.

I cam across some photos today of me sitting on the ramp as we flew fast and low across West Falkland, but also came across a photo of a crashed Chinook that I understood had only recently gone down. Something in my mind tells me the location was Mount Helen on West Falkland and I think the Pilot mentioned over the radio that it had only just gone down. What I can't tell you is when this was exactly - but I'm guessing around 1985/6?? I've a photo of it here (not very good I'm afraid), but as it was really remote - I'm guessing there aren't alot of images of this one around?

Just curious really if anyone knows anything about this incident. Also an opportunity to the 78 Sqn guys at the time that we really appreciated the "lifts" we requested at a time when most would have chosen not to have flown in them......

We were flying ZA709 BTW if that helps screw down a date? I note this also crashed, but may years later in Sangin.