PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The danger of electrical fire smoke
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2015, 00:10
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Lord Spandex Masher
In your opening post you began by relating a story about smoke in a large turbo prop airliner...
Yes and I thought I made the connection that my experience of being partly incapacitated in that large turbo prop airliner would have been a very much bigger problem in the confines of a "small" aircraft in that post.

My Take Away:

I was amazed at how little electrical smoke was required to seriously impact my ability to perform piloting duties. In this case having a second pilot meant I did not have to do very much to get us safely on the ground. The cockpit was also a lot bigger than a light aircraft. This has changed the way I think of potential small aircraft electrical fires.
As I pointed out this incident changed the way I thought of the consequences of an electrical fire in single pilot non pressurized piston powered aircraft. That led me to make a pretty declarative statement at the end of the post, namely

At the first sign of electrical fire turn off the Master switch. Don't try to troubleshoot, don't try to get a radio call out, pull the checklist etc etc , turn off all power immediately.
So rather than picking my post apart I think the readers of this forum, almost all who appear to fly light piston aircraft, would be more interested in whether other interested posters agreed with my recommendation and if not, why not ?

Last edited by Big Pistons Forever; 22nd May 2015 at 00:28.