PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radar Coverage at Ballina
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2015, 21:48
KRviator

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by The Green Goblin
Captain fourbars might not be paying for his fuel, but mum and the kids are. There's also potentially a couple of hundred of them. The airline crew don't know your capability and treat you as a risk.
So the safest course of action, for all concerned, would be to delay their arrival, or otherwise orbit to allow the low-time pilot to finish his approach and land, thereby removing the risk entirely, rather than telling them to do something that simply removes the risk to the airliner by passing it to the 200-hour-pilot-in-cloud who now has to deviate from an established approach and plan of attack.
Originally Posted by The Green Goblin
It does also say in the regulations that air commerce should be given priority by private operations.
Ahh, no, it doesn't. So far as I am aware (always happy to be proven wrong, of course) there is no requirement for GA, or anyone else, to give way or otherwise give preference to, RPT traffic. CAAP 166 does say
Originally Posted by CAAP 166
Pilots flying recreational, sport or general aircraft should consider giving way to commercial aircraft, provided that this can be done safely and without undue inconvenience to their own operation. Operators of commercial aircraft should never expect a ‘give way’ offer to be assumed or automatic. Any offer to give way must be explicit and its acceptance acknowledged.
Note the "should consider" and "without undue inconvenience to their own operation". As aCAAP, it is not a mandatory requirement, so far as I'm aware never has been, and hopefully, never will be. As I said first time round, be polite, don't try to push me around and I'm more than happy to extend a leg or otherwise let you do your thing. But try to tell me to do something, and you can follow me in while I practise a short-field landing, with the turnoff at the far end of the runway!
Originally Posted by DS
KR what's the difference between the red and the green in the lower pic?
Red is SSR, Green is ADS-B theoretical range, AIUI. IT is a relatively old graphic from ASA, but the only one I was able to find that shows some, though probably not all, ADS-B ground stations. ASA refers you to a Notam to find the current list of operating ADS-B locations, but my Google-fu is not good enough to find this list at present.