PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best training airplane?
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2015, 18:18
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just because some types have negative characteristics is no reason to pretend they don't
I assure you that ALL types have negative characteristics, depending upon your expectations.

Considering (just for a discussion example) the Chipmunk compared to the 150/152 as a trainer, and its market popularity, the numbers tell me that total sales of the "awful" and "disappointing" 150/152 exceeded sales of the delightful Chipmunk by 23605 aircraft. So, I guess the market spoke about the more suitable of the two for their general flight training needs.

The real world experience has been that nearly 20 times as many 150/152s have been used as Chipmunks for training, for 80% as long. I wonder today the proportion of 150/152 in primary flight training service to the number of Chipmunks in that role.......

Not at all my opinion, just data I'm aware of, no whitewashing involved.

And yes, I'm aware of many other very worthwhile trainer types, I just selected two prominent types from the preceding discussion. I seek to pronounce no opinon on the other types in this particular post. I've flown many Cubs, Cherokees, Champs, Grummans, Tomahawks, and I have many nice things to say about all of them. I'd love to fly a Bulldog, but I'm not aware of any in Canada.

I will look forward with great eagerness to my first flight in a Chipmunk. A fellow remains to fulfill his "trade" to me for some very specialized work I had to do for him, to keep his Gypsy Major running!