PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cadet Pilot Programme.
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2015, 16:55
Hugh Jarse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Thanks for the kind words, all

A couple of things I'd add:

The industry is fickle. One day you're at the top, the next at the bottom. I've witnessed (and experienced both). When you're at the top, do not under any circumstances **** on those below you. The analogy "the arse you kick on the way up might be the one you have to kiss on the way down" was never more applicable to any other industry than ours.

The friendships you make will last a lifetime. So will the enemies.

Come EBA time, respect and support your negotiators. They do this for no remuneration and give up a lot of their own time to look after your interests (much like the training captains). We all have different wants and needs from an EBA. By all means, vote on the "what's in it for me" clauses, but a better vote is for "what's in it for the group as a whole". Don't sell your unborn children (as somebody wrote on another thread). Your unborn child may just turn out to be a bastard child down the track.

The cadet thing is interesting. I've heard a few stories over the years of how things work out for them. The rules are the same. You have to have a fire in your belly if you want to succeed, even as a cadet. A long time ago I was approached by a couple of cadets whose careers had stalled at the end of training. I suggested they take a particular path, invest some $$ in themselves and get some experience in GA.

One did, and the other didn't. The one who did gained valuable command hours and life experience, and the other no longer is a pilot. Being a d!ckhead didn't help the other pilot