PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Importance of a good Landing
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2015, 16:52
cosmo kramer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So Airbus changed the wording slightly.

You are missing 3 things though:

1) "Scan rapidly", doesn't mean to fly ONLY with reference to the PFD after the aircraft unsticks. As you advocate doing from 8-10 deg pitch.

2) Airbus tells you to give the highest priority to outside, when visual conditions permit (most takeoffs, depending if your homebase is in a swamp or not). Not switching to watch your PFD?

3) I think your definition of airborne is wrong. The aircraft is airborne at the end of the maneuver (rotation) and not in the middle, when the wheels unstick.

Your Boeing quote proves point 3. As Boeing says not to follow the FD during rotation, but only to use it AFTER, when airborne.

For optimum takeoff and initial climb performance, initiate a smooth continuous rotation at VR toward 15° of pitch attitude. ... After liftoff, use the attitude indicator as the primary pitch reference. The flight director, in conjunction with indicated airspeed and other flight instruments is used to maintain the proper vertical flight path.

Note: The flight director pitch command is not used for rotation.
Takeoff Risk Factors
Any one of the following takeoff risk factors may precede a tail strike:
Improper Use of the Flight Director
The flight director provides accurate pitch guidance only after the airplane is airborne. With the proper rotation rate, the airplane reaches 35 feet with the desired pitch attitude of about 15°. However, an aggressive rotation into the pitch bar at takeoff is not appropriate and can cause a tail strike.
So no, I don't have any questions. I think your quotes just reinforced my points.