PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best training airplane?
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2015, 15:17
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And those other folk have just as much right as you do to express their views.
Yes, our privileges are equal here in terms of expressing views, and to each their own. But in light of your agreeing that we are here to encourage new "keen" PPLs, which I entirely agree with, (and is my main reason for contributing here) I can't understand why you would want to leave those people with the impression that most of the aircraft (by type) that they are likely to encounter in a training environment are: "awful" or "disappointing".

Those aircraft may be entirely fulfilling to that keen PPL candidate, if their desire is to be safely and economically airborne, with low expectations of handling and performance. But having just earned their PPL, if a pilot buys a a modest 150, and simply enjoys the pleasure of flying it around, why would you want to so repeatedly trash that type - and by extension, his decision? I suspect that you would look down on that owner, and give them a cold shoulder with muffled remarks of disrespect, as they walked in from the ramp, where they had just parked. In my opinion, actively disapproving of something which is perfectly safe and fine for someone else, is just not helpful, and worthy of being called out.

I had occasion to fly with a friend in his pride and joy, which he had spent six years meticulously restoring. It is the last of only five ever made of a Canadian bush plane. I entered the process of assisting him with preconceived impressions of how that plane would fly, based upon having flown a number of similar sized and powered aircraft. After flying his aircraft on wheels and floats, I am left appreciating the other types more than his - in all respects other than uniqueness - where he wins hands down. But did I tell him anything negative about his plane? No! I asked if he had flown other types which were similar, and he told be he had not - I smiled, and left it at that. And he and I get along just fine. I truly appreciate his dedication to his passion, and I have no interest in reducing his pride.

If you have fleets of Chipmunks at the ready for training the next generation of PPL wannabes, I'm there shoulder to shoulder with you promoting them - simply for all the good things I've heard about them. I'm not here making factual statements on the considerable work I have done maintaining Gypsy Major engines.

Understand that I'm not knocking the positive things said about training types, I am knocking the negative things being said here abut some types, where they contribute nothing to the benefit of the discussion.