PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radar Coverage at Ballina
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2015, 14:26
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Contrary to popular belief (and it appears to be your belief, too Dick), we don't just barge into the circuit and tell everyone to hold or get out of our way. Separation is a mutual responsibility.
H.J,
As long as "we" is you and your crew, I will accept that, but as for many of the Regionals crews, aggressive attitudes towards other airspace users is all too common.

Literally, priority is demanded, I have even been told that "RPT" has right of way --- the number of times I have found that the attitude is: Anybody flying a smaller aircraft is a "weekend warrior" or a "bug smasher" and altogether an imbecile and a deadly threat to the traveling public.

CAR 166 seems to be regarded by too many Regional's pilots as "guidance" for the -8s, SAABs etc, but set in stone black and white strict liability law for anybody else.

That an ATPL on a day off might be flying a PA-28 seems to be beyond their ken.

Look back through some of the ATSB files, and the PCH report(by Dr. Rob Lee) on the subject ---- it confirms what you assume to be Dick's position.

.It does also say in the regulations that air commerce should be given priority by private operations.
Green Goblin,
A regulatory reference please, particularly for Class G airspace. In my opinion you are talking rubbish, but the alarming thing, from the risk management perspective, is that you probably believe it.

The airline crew don't know your capability and treat you as a risk.
Exactly, an all to often arrogant set of radio transmissions from the RPT -8 or whatever, far removed from the cooperative approach that will give a far better result, while the RPT flight path may or may not comply with existing circuit traffic, depending on the best economic ( as opposed to safe) interests of the RPT.

I have never experienced this "Australian" attitude in NZ, US, Canada or the several African countries where I have flown aircraft of various sizes.

Tootle pip!!

Last edited by LeadSled; 21st May 2015 at 14:47.