PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Importance of a good Landing
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2015, 11:29
cosmo kramer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Useful visual reference is not lost at 8-10 degs pitch.

We can continue this discussion forever. But I think at the end of the day we are all pretty much in agreement.

I did a ferry flight last night as PF. With the usual back pressure the rotation felt quite slow, so I glanced at the RA to check when I could increase the rate to 4-5 degs per second, to catch up. Thereafter I switched back to visual and completed the rotation. I am saying this, because I agree that in some cases, useful information can be picked up from the PFD. Like height, which eyes are bad at judging (that's why we should look at the far end of the runway during the flare, as the eyes can't accurately judge the height, but excellently judge the closure rate).

BUT, during a normal rotation it shouldn't be necessary. This is just like the discussion about thrust reduction during flare. During a normal flare, the thrust should be reduced as per respective FCTM (30 feet for a 737 e.g.). However, in special circumstances it might be prudent to reduce later or even add thrust.

That's why we are in the cockpit and it's not just runned by computer. Improvise, adapt, overcome.

To get back on topic:

The problem, and in my opinion the core problem, and where the relevance of the discussion about rotation fits in with landing is this:

Too many are SOP/magenta line driven to the extreme and are incapable of improvising and adapting when necessary. They stare at their instruments to keep everything within the limits of the FODA ghost. In turn, they forget to do what they are supposed to do: Aviate!