PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2015, 23:45
Danny42C

Tales of Long Ago.

Geriaviator,

So the green/black funnels are no more ! How about the I.O.M. "Packets of Steam" ? Seems that there is only "BEN-MY-CHREE" and an interloper "MANANNAN" left.

In my boyhood there was "BEN-MY-CHREE", "KING ORRY", "MANXMAN", "MANXMAID", "MONA's ISLE" *, (and other, forgotten ones, "TYNWALD HILL" ?). There was always one berthed at the Liverpool Landing Stage, red and black funnels like little Cunarders (brazenly parked outside the Cunard (HQ) Building ! Happy holidays at Ramsey in the sunny summers of the mid-thirties !

* I have a print of an old map of Anglesey, annotated "Olim" (formerly) "Insula Mona" (the island of Mona). Seems the IOM and Anglesey got mixed up somehow. (And there is Mona airfield on Anglesey).

On reflection, it occurs to me that you embarked on a 145-mile sea crossing on one engine ! (and did it again on the way back). You are a brave man, Sir !....D.

ancientaviator62,

Re: headgear. Now I come to think of it, the Marine bandsmen I saw at Pompey had a very similar white job. Looked very smart, too (but looks to be a high-maintenance item). Ties in what you tell me about Diego Garcia.....D.

Cheers, both (and Smudge, too, for his #7056 on the water-in-fuel problem).

Danny.

PS: We've been struck with Elephantiasis of the Posts again. Can someone do the honours? D.