PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Photochromic sunglasses
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2015, 21:26
vulcanpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wear contacts for distance (and have for over 30 years) but due to age, now need readers for closeup work. Because I was always losing/breaking cheap readers, I bought a couple of decent pairs of plano over readers which are photochromic which I tend to wear all the time.

As has been said, photochromic are great for everyday use but useless for flying as walking to the aircraft they go very dark. Get inside or in the aircraft and they take an age to lighten up to read, and then are never dark enough to alleviate sun glare when flying.

So I bought a decent pair of Oakleys but got some bespoke lenses made in plano with bi-focal reader section, and then a gradual neutral grey tint that is pretty dark at the top and very light at the bottom where the reading prescription is. They are amazing and worth every penny and the grad tint means that the correct shading is almost always in the right place.

I have to carry a spare set of full prescription specs and just bought the cheapest frames and lenses I could, no tint. I'll probably never need to wear them, but rules is rules so they live in my headset case, ready and waiting.

My optician is very accommodating; well I have spent a small ransom with him over the years. Certainly worth just telling them what you need and see what they come up with, but make sure any frames are 'headset friendly' - thick bulky plastic frames tend to break the seal and with something like the Lightspeeds, cause all sorts of weird effects.