PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best training airplane?
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2015, 16:38
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a Piper Warrior / Cessna 172 were like flying buses!
It's possible to turn those of mediocre skill and aptitude into qualified PPLs in a short time using them
I agree.

[It's possible to turn those of mediocre skill and aptitude into qualified PPLs in a short time using them!] .....

However, in my book that does NOT make them a good basic trainer. Probably the reverse!
Not so fast...

If a candidate learns to fly in a demanding, yet forgiving aircraft does this not provide an environment for better learning? Better learning results in a better pilot, so the objective was met? The tool did the job?

My other airplane is not at all nice in the air, and worse on the runway. It is a constant effort to keep it straight and level, and co-ordinated. A total attention demander to prevent groundlooping. I could think it is not a "good" aircraft because of this, but if you can fly it well, you can probably fly most planes well, because they are more stable, and much more nicely harmonized.

For myself, I find that when I master the less pleasant plane, the more pleasant planes come naturally. Does that not make the less pleasant plane a better trainer?