PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Boeing 787. Is it a Dream or a Dudd?
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2015, 08:30
Tim Hamilton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Boeing 787. Is it a Dream or a Dudd?

Boeing promotes the Boeing -787 as "The Dreamliner" but does it really live up to the marketing hype?

I flew Coolangatta - Singapore last Sat and back today on Scoots 787-900 Dreamliner and wasn't overly impressed. I will still stick with the 777 as my favourite aircraft.

Like to hear from the boys and Girls that fly the Dreamliner just how good or not so good this aircraft REALLY is.

Out of Singapore last night with an almost full load of passengers and an OAT of approx 28 degrees. I felt sluggish to accelerate, using all the runway to take off and sluggish to climb. After take-off it really wasn't doing anything special as far as speed increase and climb rate was concerned. For the first 10 minutes and then it was away. Felt the aircraft it replaced on this route (the 777-200) performed a lot better. In reality I would like to know from the people that know better than I - the pilots is that the truth.

I found the ride a in smooth air very good but in turbulence – a lot more choppy compared to the 777. When the Dreamliner hit turbulence it seemed to bounce around like a cork, especially fishtailing/side to side movement generally. While the 777 it seemed to be a lot stable/steadier.

I want to like this new revolutionary aircraft but for me I keep my options open for now. Not overly impressed.

Is it faster than the 777? Think it fly’s a couple of 1000 ft higher.

Really welcome your input.
Perhaps a boost in engine output would be a good start. To improve its performance,

Dreamliner sceptic.