PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - how to find elevation for an uncertified ALA?
Old 20th May 2015, 08:13
Aussie Bob

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
There is something enormously satisfying (for me) in scoping out a piece of real estate in the wilderness then landing on it. I never ask permission, who would I ask? This is a hugely popular sector of aviation in the USA, with several web sites devoted to it and an FAA publication specifically written about it. In Australia it seems frowned upon and there is very little interest in the subject.

Sometimes I use Google Earth, sometimes I just scope it out from the air. My only requirements is that there is something interesting to do when I land, either camping, fishing or just sightseeing. Axiomatic to these operations is of course a STOL aeroplane and suitable tyres.

It is my belief, although I admit to no research, that this is perfectly legal as far as CASA goes, there only remains the subject of land holder permission. Given that the land I use is mostly public land anyway, way outside the public eye, why would I even ask? Given our good ole Aussie semantics, the answer would never be yes in any event.