PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spend on safety gadgets? or better training!
Old 20th May 2015, 07:06
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have had these discussions in length and I quote the Cirrus accident reports for BRS pulls as sad reading for many of the needless pulls which basic handling and flying within ones limits would have avoided.

The Cirrus is a great aircraft with some very advanced pilot aid systems as well as the BRS.
There are two questions! Do these systems encourage pilots to fly out of their ability or safety zones and are we becoming button pushers more interested in the latest high tech systems and in doing so loosing sight of hand flying and handling?

On the first part I have always disliked flying on a dark night in a single but know that with the Cirrus I have a BRS get me out of jail card.
So yes I would be more tempted to fly the cirrus at night than a conventional aircraft. Hence my exposure to risk would be higher

Looking at the accident stats for pulls so many you ask why? Ok the BRS saves lives but you have to question the ability of some of those pilots.
Currency is not just about being in the air but being current in hand flying and dealing with failures emergencies and problems.

Maybe pressing a button and letting the aircraft fly YOU somewhere is a dangerous trend
these advanced systems should be there to compliment your flying skills not to make up for a lack of those skills

Pace