PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Clarity Aloft
Thread: Clarity Aloft
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2015, 06:14
whoknows idont

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wanted to buy a set recently but I was a bit sceptical because I had read about the problems people had with them. But the store I went to had stopped selling them (after offering them for a couple of years). They claimed that they had A LOT of broken cables and that it always took a long time shipping them to the states and back for warranty service. And they said that the bluetooth unit (which seems to be the "Pilot USA Blulink") was not satisfactory.

Instead they sell the Phonak Freecom 7100 now and told me that they didn't have a single failure yet. Of course I don't know if they had sold enough of them to judge durability but the headset does seem to be very sturdy, you can tell it has industry grade build quality. Also they have a smart "ambient awareness" feature where you can let a controlled amount of ambient sound in. Very smart. They are pricey but still less than a Bose headset. It comes with a coupon for a free set of custom molds. Only downside for me was the lack of bluetooth. Long story short, I bought them and I also got to pick up the ear pieces already. Didn't get a chance to fly with them yet. But they are really comfortable and seem to block noise very well.

Before that I came really close to ordering the "Nanocomm 2 GA" from the UK. They seem very well thought through and for a good price. I think they sell quite good in SA. In the end I didn't find enough reviews to justify the leap of faith and the wait. But they still seem like a great deal.

If I was in the states I probably would have tried the Quiet Technologies Halo, they have some cool ideas put into them, also for a great price. And I was temped by the yellow version. I decided against them because of the strong dollar, customs & import tax, delivery times.

I will get back to you when I have some experience with the Phonak headset but so far they feel like the right decision.