PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you know how this can happen?
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2015, 23:57
1Charlie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Do you know how this can happen?

The way traffic is sequenced in Aus is at the request of industry / airlines. They want aircraft absorbing all delay at cruise altitude, then staying on the STAR (because the FMC is more efficient than hand flying) all the way to touch down. If you're on the STAR all the way to touchdown how else can the sequence be organised. Speed up slow down. We all know you hate it, but the airline loves it. Sometimes I wonder why we bother because it's much more difficult than say sequencing like Heathrow. Just let em all cruise into the low level holding stacks, issue them standard speeds, then vector them onto final. So much easier than locking a dynamic sequence in at 200nm (40mins from now) when so much will happen between now and then. Especially if there is a bit of weather around, not just at the airport but enroute. While you're up there dodging cumulus the sequence is going to **** cause no one is achieving their RTA.

You being inside Aus airspace for 7 hours has nothing to do with it. You could be given a flow time then but it would most certainly be wrong. We can even see you on maestro well beyond 200nm but maestro can't see the aircraft that will beat you to the airport but haven't taken off yet. How do you flow a sequence with aircraft that aren't airborne yet? 200nm is just a number that seems to work best. In some circumstances when the traffic mix is right I've seen the sequence locked in at 350nm.

In a perfect world all this is great. You get your RTA in enough time to slow down and achieve it, descend at 250kts via the star all the way to touch down and everyone flows in like a zipper landing a perfect 4nm trail (for mixed mode) over the threshold. Very rarely is it a perfect world. But get used to it, Nextgen and Sesar are both based on the Aus ATC system. (Adjust speed to cross....)

Had the same thing happened to you at Heathrow, you would have stayed at your normal speed, done a lap of the holding pattern, probably two (10mins) at 5000', vectored onto final, then came here and told us how good Heathrow ATC (don't get me wrong it is very good).