PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2015, 22:50
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Danny #7054.

As an ex Aircraft Ground Engineer on the "Albert" fleet, I can help AA62 out on that one. In the 6 years or so flying that I managed on the fleet, every Before flight servicing was accompanied with water sediment checks through each tank water sediment drain valve. Using a piece of equipment nicknamed the "pogo stick" to locate a 1/4 inch diameter plug into a 1/4 inch diameter socket, twelve feet above your head, and hidden by a rubber collecting cup, at "oh for goodness sakes" in the morning was not an easy challenge. We often drained and examined in to large polythene bags, allowing us to determine the amount of water in the sample. Amongst the Visiting Aircraft Flights in RAF Germany were were bad news, as they often found bags of fuel infesting the Houchin cable stowages after a Herk night stop. Curiously, this was in the days when FSII (Fuel System Icing Inhibitor) or AL38 was a standard mix of our fuel, I can only surmise the problems caused by Cladosporium Resinae was the reason for the checks. Hope that helps.

Smudge