PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glider Tugging
Thread: Glider Tugging
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2015, 19:22
DeafOldFart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your contributions everybody!!! A little information is seeping into my brain, I think....
A quick reprise of my flying CV - power flying 40 years, gliding 30, NPPL, Silver C and 100km diploma.
The odd thing about my power flying logbook is that until recently I had more years than hours.... kept running out of money! Five sets of exams elapsed before a really minimal hour NPPL.
As a full time winch driver with about 15,000 launches I have a certain understanding of gliding clubs!
And a lot of opportunity to watch tug operations at large clubs like Lasham.
A lot of my flying was with friends who were commercial pilots and instructors, who seemed to appreciate a second opinion and another pair of hands - these hours were not instructional, but extremely educational! Pity they cannot count towards a training total.
My cloth ears inhibit a lot of my activities, instructing is difficult if you cannot pick up the words of the pupil. Learning to glide in a tandem two seater was sometimes a bit of a teach yourself activity. My friends were those who shouted at me!
If you are a gliding club tugmaster, expect to see a Deaf Old Fart on the sidelines somewhere, seeking enlightenment......

Last edited by DeafOldFart; 19th May 2015 at 19:42. Reason: add details!