PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is there a test for "Good GA Pilot"
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2015, 17:39
BroomstickPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test of a good GA Pilot

Hi Guys,

I have seen this question asked in various forms and in various places over the years. Invariably, the consensus seems to come down in favour of someone being able to fly a safe circuit without any instruments; (i.e. old fashioned seat-of-the-pants flying).

Now being able to do that certainly attests to a person's VMC handling skills, (although whether such skills would be of any help when flying on instruments is very doubtful). But flying is vastly more than just handling skills; (although good handling skills are a good thing to have for a start).

Personally, I don't agree. A pilot may be able to fly a perfect circuit without reference to instruments but be an irresponsible pratt in every other respect.

To me, the qualities a good GA pilot boil down more to attitude than anything else as attitude permeates everything he/she does. So for my money the pilot should: -
1. have a well developed sense of responsibility,
2. be knowledgeable in regard to flying,
3. be thorough in regard to everything to do with the flight right from flight planning to shut down.
4. have foresight in regard to the things that are likely to be encountered in any flight and make preparation for them.
5. be ever willing to learn.

If these things are to be tested at all, they would probably only be tested by means of properly conducted psychometric testing.

Well that's my two pennyworth,

BP.