PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Importance of a good Landing
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2015, 12:52
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the avoidance of doubt - I am not saying that the entire rotation be done with reference to the PFD but rather more useful information is given to the pilot regarding rate and achieved attitude by looking at the PFD once nothing visible is to be seen over the coming.

I can't remember back to B757/767 days, but on current B738 F5 non LVO takeoffs: absolutely, the keeping of the centreline until airborne is visual; has to be. The initial rotation is visual. This is the best way to keep wings level under all circumstances and assess the correct rate. The a/c will pause at 10 degrees NU, and the nose cuts the horizon at the same time. The a/c becomes airborne as the elevator deflection is increased slightly. This is when the PFD becomes primary as you need to stop the rotation at 15 degrees. Thus, the a/c becomes airborne as the outside visual clues disappear. This is even more important with an engine failure before VR. Now the a/c will become airborne at the same point but you must stop the rotation at only 12-12.5 degrees. Thus, as you increase the elevator deflection to maintain the same rate you have only another 2 degrees to go. The PFD becomes very important. I've seen guys in the sim who tried to look over the nose after 10 degrees and they bounced again as they subconsciously pushed. If understood correctly, taught and practiced correctly, it is a doddle in any visibility, cross wind, engine failure scenario. Even more important if the engine fails in low vis/night just as gear is selected up. KISS.