PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Importance of a good Landing
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2015, 12:39
Meikleour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cosmo Kramer: In quoting the Airbus FTM I think you are making my point for me! Quote: mainly heads up ........ until visual reference is lost. When taking off at night from ( especially ) coastal airfields I think everyone would have trouble detecting the actual aircraft attitude accurately. You seem to assume that all types "leap off the ground" in the same manner as the A320.
All pilots should be aware of their current type's tail scrape attitude oleos compressed. Sadly tailscapes do occur from time to time and only come as a surprise to those crews who do not have this knowledge. To cite the B747 and A340 - both types exhibit a marked slowing of the rotation rate around 10 NU due to the tailplane being affected by its proximity to the runway during the rotation. This tends to lead to a slowing down of the rotation then a subsequent climb out at too fast a speed.
For the avoidance of doubt - I am not saying that the entire rotation be done with reference to the PFD but rather more useful information is given to the pilot regarding rate and achieved attitude by looking at the PFD once nothing visible is to be seen over the coming. In other words, as others have pointed out - no special techniques are required for night/fog departures.