PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Comanche 400?
Thread: Comanche 400?
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2015, 23:07
Dora-9

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Greybeard! No, not you I don't think. I didn't think you ever flew for CFS?

AMI appears in my logbook a few times from December 1965 to February 1966.

As a background, CFS not only had a flying school and charter operation, but they also bought and sold aircraft. They had a constantly changing fleet of "trade-ins", which is how we acquired AMI. Our manager, the irascible A-Mac, never one to hide his feelings, had a real "set" against the Comanche 400. So when the hapless PPL set fire to it (adjacent to the MMA Bellman hangars at Perth Airport) he was first on the scene, got everyone out, made no effort to extinguish the fire but removed the fuel caps and stood well clear! The ensuing argument between him and the firemen was something to behold!

The PPL (initials KP, does this ring a bell?), a nice guy, was undeterred, as I subsequently endorsed him on the B55...

At the risk of (again) going OT, the "trade-ins" were available for staff use (for free, we didn't even have to pay for the fuel!!) - at the time we also had a B33 Debonair (about as under-powered as the 400 was over-powered) which was much preferred by one and all over the 400.