PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glider Tugging
Thread: Glider Tugging
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2015, 22:14
Jim59

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I understand it.... NPPL holders can tow gliders. Nothing gets written on the licence.
EASA licences have entries for extra items.
Unless the gliding club CFI is qualified to the new licensing standards, he/she cannot certify competence, the fees payable to qualify have deterred many suitable candidates from becoming examiners....
Come 2018, there will be a bit of a problem, and betcha the date gets pushed back again!!!
If you have PPL(A), you may have difficulty getting a towing rating, so you will have to get an NPPL to fly the tug...
Unless you have an FAA licence maybe??
Even if you have an EASA licence PPL(A) or LAPL(A) you don't need a towing rating on it in the UK before 2018.

Under current rules clubs decide who can teach towing. Under EASA you only need to have a PPL(A) and a Class Rating Instructor Certificate Restricted to teaching towing to teach EASA licence holders. Once the teaching is completed there is no test you just get the rating added to your licence. The syllabus is neither complicated nor long. Tug pilot must have experienced 5 tows in a glider, and ten in the tug - of which 5 must be dual and a briefing that takes less than a day.

To get my CRI(Restricted to teaching towing) I only needed a letter from my CFI stating that I already did it - he is not a power pilot. I got the ratings to tow based only on experience - using aeroplanes on my PPL and using TMGs on my LAPL(S).

It really isn't a big deal. The BGA did excellent work in persuading EASA to keep it simple.