PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glider Tugging
Thread: Glider Tugging
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2015, 20:56
Jim59

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a little difficulty with our little club... no tug, ergo no tugmaster, CFI is very probably not able to give authorisation should I turn up with an aircraft with towing gear!! Talk about small puddles, I'm the frog with the NPPL and maybe the only member in current power practice.
Under the old rules, 15 tows between tug pilot and glider pilot was a minimum requirement.

So if I turn up with a Robin DR300 of questionable vintage and a rope, is it gonna be legal for me to tow out of a field I have not yet landed on..... answers on the back of a matchbox please!

I spent many years at KGC, about 1985 to 1998 before it got political, then got a day job at Lasham! Anyone who flew Tiger Moths at Kent must have a close knowledge of the trees around the site..... I am still in touch with Glyn Richards, who has now moved to Stow Maries with the remnants of the Tiger Club. Maybe your name is legend....
I don't know where the figure of 15 comes from. The BGA rule for years was, "The sum of the tows made by the tug pilot and the glider pilot, in their respective capacities, shall not be less than six." So as long as the glider pilot has 6 tows under his/her belt the tug pilot needs none!

If the CFI is satisfied that you are suitably qualified and are a member of the same club as the glider pilot (a legal rquirement) he can authorise you.

In practice the sensible thing to do is go with your tug to a gliding site that does aerotow tow and do a few dual tows with one of their check pilots to gain/regain currency in towing as necessary. Whether you have towed out the the site before is irrelevant. Most tug pilots have pitched up at another airfield and done some tows - either on request or to do retrieves. Usually a briefing on the local area (especially noise sensitivities) is all that is needed.