PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calculating Aircraft Ownership per hour of??
Old 18th May 2015, 18:56
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Rod's right that you should think in terms of total cost over several years, rather than just purchase cost.

Rod's also right that if you are content to stay day-VMC, you'll get far more aeroplane for your money if it doesn't have a CofA. The various sub-ICAO systems (UK Permit to Fly, Irish Flight Permit...) offer more aeroplane for [over several years, running costs included] less money.

If you want to fly night/IFR, you do need a CofA - in which case in answer to your question, aeroplanes that offer 4 seats and reasonable performance and reliability, but weren't built by Piper or Cessna would include the Moraine-Saulnier Rallye, Grumman AA5 (the AA5b Tiger being the best tourer and load carrier, at a small running cost penalty over the smaller engine versions).

I have a share in an AA5a and have done a lot with that, but it's not a true 4-seater. 2.5 would be more honest, but an AA5b becomes a 3.5 seater - which is better than many PA28 variants. I also have a share in a 100hp Rollason Condor, on a Permit, which flies at 90kn for £60/hr compared to 105kn for £90/hr for the AA5 (fixed costs overall for the AA5 are around double the Condor's).

Cherokee 140s are a bargain at the moment, but a bit slow and elderly. Product support still seems to be good, and they are much cheaper to buy than a -161 (the flying school favourite) or a C172. I took a PA28-140 from Bournemouth to Prestwick and back in March, and enjoyed it - 3:50 each way including taxi time, including about an hour IMC each eay which is viable, if slightly pedestrian.

G