PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hacker turns a/c
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2015, 18:41
Nialler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree that there is an appatite for dramas like this, and - to pursue the analogy - there are a ready supply of actors prepared to take on the role of hero or baddy in it.

If this guy Roberts is telling the truth and if he managed to gain control of as much as the reading light over his seat other than through the normal method then he should be able to recreate it.

If you look at hacking tools they almost all generate activity logs and screenshots. The latter make for a more entertaining slideshow at the next hackers convention.

The thing is that I stopped attending these years ago. The fact is that the most many hackers can manage is to *see* the systems. I heard too often the formulaic: "having got this far I stopped for fear of the feds". Those I have spoken to about mainframe penetration admitted that they know nothing about the underlying hardware and the control block structures of address ranges. They weren't equipped to cause meaningful damage even if given a logon to the system.The ones I would fear are those that somehow *do* know the systems. The quiet ones.