PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Importance of a good Landing
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2015, 11:32
Uplinker

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts
It would be very helpful if the RADALT kept calling out height every second and in steps of 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 feet so that one could very accurately assess the rate of closure of the tyres to the runway. Perhaps some do? The Airbus RADALTs I fly call at 10 feet and then one other height, say 7 or 4 then it shuts up. My eyes are outside the cockpit at that moment, but if the RADALT kept talking, I would know what our rate of closure was, or if I was doing a very low flypast!

A greaser in exchange for half the runway length is clearly wrong, but a bit of finesse producing a gentle landing is a good thing, and an experienced pilot should be able to do this when it is appropriate. The way some folk crash it on, without even de-crabbing sometimes makes me wince and feel for the aircraft structure.

My best ever landing was in a 146 (so I had a head start!) and it was one of those days when everything was perfect and all I heard were the wheels starting to go round. There was no vertical movement at all. I wrote it in my logbook then and there as being my best ever landing, because I knew I would never better it, although I have come close in an A330.