PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calculating Aircraft Ownership per hour of??
Old 18th May 2015, 11:32
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Certified and Microlights aircraft are different in their intended role and capabilities. Assure that you choose the aircraft type suited to what you intend operationally.

A search back will turn up many threads on aircraft operating costs.

For a fixed prop, fixed gear single.....
From my Canadian perspective consider the following:

Insurance 1000-2000 per year
Hangar or tiedown +1000 per year
Annual inspection cots 1000+
Fixed maintenance reserves +500 per year (things that age anyway)

Minimum 3500 per year fixed cost, fly it or not, plus...

Per 100 hours per year:

Fuel 65 per hour = 6500
Engine & prop reserve 1200
Airframe reserve* 500
Consumables 500
Landing fees?

Minimum 8700 per year operating costs

So 12200 per year = 122 per hour

I have purposefully not specified currency, as it appears to me that those numbers hold no matter what the currency.

These numbers represent well the cost for each of my planes, though I save by insuring them together, keeping them at home, operating the 150 on Mogas, and doing all the maintenance myself.

*Legacy aircraft are beginning to suffer parts shortages. Be VERY sure that the type you would like to buy is well supported with replacement parts, should you need them - OR have a super detailed (=costly) pre purchase inspection done to assure that there are no creeping maintenance issues - primarily corrosion. I have been personally involved in three legacy Pipers which had terrible fates, as Piper refused to support them through maintenance or damage issues. A 1970 Arrow and Seneca 1 were permanently grounded, as Piper would not provide parts, and there was simply no other source of parts (wing spar parts), and a Warrior snuck by in a very costly way with hail damage.

I suggest to potential buyers that they use numbers similar to the foregoing, and purchase an aircraft whose purchase price does not exceed half of their first year's budget. No point in buying a plane, and being so broke you can't afford to even park it, much less fly it!