PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To post or not to post that is the Question
Old 18th May 2015, 08:38
Courtney Mil

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Very true, Tourist, but it isn't every thread where a member asks for respect and consideration. Perhaps, though, we should all think before posting speculative remarks anyway.

Specifically, I think your third paragraph hits the nail on the head.

Originally Posted by Tourist
I think it is possible to discuss these things without being overly offensive. We don't want to descend to the usual flightsim retard-fest like the last few biggies on the rumours page, yet we do want to be able to discuss.
I would say, "without being offensive or insensitive". We should be doing that all the time - I hold my hands up to over-stepping that mark on occasions, the same as anyone else. As I wrote before, a crew room is a closed room, this forum is public and the rules here are designed to uphold those ideals anyway. It should all be down to the Mods to look after that aspect of the forum.

How many times have you and I seen, "Sounds like the crew..." or "this wouldn't have happened if..."? Even before any technical or investigative findings have been announced? They'll be plenty to discuss when there is some news.

I agree with you, there is a delicate balance to be struck and we are all sometimes tempted to get it wrong. TT's request in this recent case was probably a good reminder and, if nothing else, it's provoked a healthy discussion on the subject.