PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Karen Casey wins court case.
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2015, 22:15
tipsy2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an entertained witness to the nearly 3 decades of the "Categorisation of Operations" by the regulator in its various (dis)guises let me add my simplistic (read non-legal) view.

Pilot and Co-Pilot were employed, paid and managed by Pel-Air. They are required to operate an aircraft and are "crew".

Care-flight was tasked by ?? to medivac a patient. Care-flight provided the medical staff (Doctor/Nurse) employed, paid and managed by Care-flight to travel in the aircraft and provide care for the patient en-route. Patient family member also accompanied patient.

Care-flight hire Pel-Air to provide an aircraft and crew (Pilot/Co-Pilot) to conduct the given task.

None of the Care-flight contingent are required to operate the aircraft, they are however required to operate any medical equipment they have brought with them onto the aircraft.

As I see it, Pilot and Co-pilot are the only "crew", the rest can only be 'passengers'. How the hirer of the aircraft utilises that aircraft/crew is irrelevant to the flight categorisation (in a regulatory sense)

I see the flight categorisation as "Charter" and airwork doesn't even come into it.

Am I wrong?

Tipsy