PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Finals?
Thread: Finals?
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2015, 18:16
condor17

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuji , sorry to interject , but must defend the honour of most Ba aviators ...... ''The'' Speedbird was mostly BOAC ,or being posh on the Conc . Us BEA 'drivers' used Bealine , Albion , Shuttle , and being an old 'Naarfick' tractor driver with wings 'finals' tend slip out with great regularity ; and in 40+ years of proffessional aviating ....I've not yet been b+++++++++d by Perceived English speakers .
IIRC finals is 4 nm , short finals 2nm, long finals 6-8nm , but all that is open to debate , as it probably won't work on vfr light a/c , and my r/t licence exam was 44 years ago .
Either works for me , whether using my flight r/t lic. or my ground radio operators lic .
Speedbird 5611 always rolled of the tongue as five, six, one, one ....and with only the last 1/4 of my big time exposed to the US ..... I could never get used to their way of speaking numbers and always answered ..two , eight , three , heavy etc .
Had a chuckle yesterday when Golf - Alpha 'Whale' called downwind ...flown by a Scot as well .

rgds condor .