PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2015, 17:56
Danny42C

Fantome,

Nice pic of the "Wimpey" (But why do they always shoot from the front quarter - very rarely from the port rear, which is what I want? Suppose it looks more purposeful from that angle). Can't make out what the "nose art" is (or is it a patch, in which case why haven't they doped and painted it?) And where is it, do we know?

As regards Dutch and Russian doors on DC3s, no idea. First I've heard of it. Dutch ones would all be US L/L in the war, therefore door in proper place. Russian home-builds may have got a mirror image of the blue-prints they pinched (is it possible they printed off the microfilm negative upside down? - I am not a photographer, Boots used to do all that for me).

mmitch,

Many thanks (so I'm not daft, after all !) All I know is that there was a door in "mine", and I was in full possession of my faculties then, however I am now.

In my innocence, I thought all wimpeys were like that. Indeed the Lanc crews went aboard through a door on the stbd side (Halifaxes ?) If they could chop a hole that size in the Lanc or Dak (conventionally built) fuselage, without seriously weakening the structure, surely they could do it in the Wimpey?. The selling point of the geodesic structure was that it could have huge chunks bitten out of it and the rest would hold together and get back home. Many did

papajuliet,

And now a contrary witness! Danny Holmes is all at sea, and most seek solace from his pipe, his violin, and a 'fix' of a Banned Substance (only joking).

Cheers, Danny.