PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To post or not to post that is the Question
Old 17th May 2015, 16:00
Courtney Mil

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
I think you're getting a bit sensitive about this. I'm guessing this has been brought on by the A400 thread. I would say just three things.

Yes this is a rumour network and much the richer for being so. Frankly, who gives a stuff about thread drift; those bits are often more interesting than the original subject and the Mods here are pretty tollerant about that. How long have you known the average conversation to stay 'on topic'? It's fine, as long as the thread doesn't get hijacked by people with an agenda. IMHO.

Concerning the crew room chat. Your average crew room is occupied by like-minded people, discussing topics of mutual interest. Not always 'wholesome' and very often not for public consumption. I've yet to see a crew room open to scrutiny by anyone that cares to click into a website. Everything that is written here is visible to the World. My point being that the simile only works up to a point. Folk with an interest in a particular topic may well find their way here and, sometimes, be somewhat surprised by what posters are writing. In the same vane, the argument that 'if you don't like what's written here offends, done come here' is slightly misinformed for the same reason. Just saying.

Finally, in the case of the A400 thread, one of our regular and well-respected members had requested (just requested) that we all excercise a little restraint, for reasons some of you will have seen. I think that was to do with respect and dignity. Some of the posts that followed clearly did not reflect that. They don't have to accede to the request; no one wrote any new laws. But this is a community and mutual respect is an important aspect in any discussion. So it's hardly surprising that a few of the regulars asked everyone to back off on the speculation, especially when it occasionally became a bit insensitive.

For the most part, these threads wander around and throw up all sorts of excellent thoughts and gems from a lot of very experienced and talented thinkers. Long may that live! Apart from a few forthright comments, I don't think anyone jumped on the outrage bus on the thread in question.