PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Saudia
Thread: Saudia
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2015, 09:08
Romasik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is my first posting on your site. I've been a Saudia pilot for several years so I can provide some real answers.

All the non-saudi pilot live on a compound called Saudi City. Most of the people here are Lebonese, Bangladesh or Indian. The compound is not clean like you would see in Dubia, but is livable. The water often does not work well in the day time, but the electricity is always on so the A/C works all the time.

There is a lot of flying, but also a lot of schedule changes. You bid from an very old system of pre-printed lines (not a modern system of preferencial bidding). Most of the lines have 5 days off, but you finish flying late before the first day, and are always scheduled very early the day following so if you commute anywhere, you will only have 3 days off. If you're very lucky you can beg for an extra day, but they will keep you in suspense until the last minute, so it's quite frustrating.

The schedulers do this intentionally. They feel a need to control everyone and are jealous that pilots can come and go from Saudi Arabia, while they are stuck in an office.

With a few exceptions, the career of a new non-saudi pilot is from months to a few short years. It doesn't take a long time until one grows tired of the scheduling nonsense.

Aside from the scheduling problem the company is generally nice to work for. Everybody at least pretends to be friendly and genuine, so it's an easy place to work.

if anyone wants specific answers, just post and I'll do my best to answer.
I've been around for 16 years and have no intentions to start all over again

Most of the people stay here until they are forced to leave by age or personal reasons. With few exceptions. As time passes by it's more and more difficult to leave. Increasing salary, benefits, school for kids... Once you get used to this life it's easy.
And relations with planners entirely depend on you. Just respect them and you you will be treated accordingly. Withing scheduling limits, of course.
Scheduling problems is a part of a job description and compensated in the end of the month with SMS from the bank.