PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Rotor Blade Radar (RODAR)
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2015, 05:48
SeaMac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@whoknows idont,

It's not me who wanted to put just the electro-optical sensors in the rotor blade tips, there's more than one patent for just that with the USPTO. With the integral to rotor radar and blade tip EO you would have both synthetic aperture capability along with HD day/night camera/IR/thermal imaging, all potentially combined on one screen providing the crew with the utmost in situational awareness. It is not magic it is technological reality with awarded US patents. I do not know why Eurocopter didn't continue with ROSAR, maybe it infringed on existing patents and they chose to stay out of litigation. My only question is why all of the patent holders and industry leaders have not made this technology available. I suspect it comes down to money, if in the 70's you designed a system and was awarded a patent -which it was- but for whatever reason stopped development you still own the patent so long as you kept it current. If say Raytheon, Airbus, Boeing or someone else wanted to continue development they have to buy the rights or pay royalties......all comes down to money. Then of course if Boeing ended up with the patent well then, there's no chance at all it'll be developed. Boeing IMHO is the embodiment of a truly evil corporation, but that's a whole other matter.