PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2015, 04:58
SeaMac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up I am NOT too old, so it seems...

Today I became enlightened and might at 51 be able to fulfill my aviation dream. The dream had to be adjusted to accommodate reality though, but the crux of the dream remains intact. After speaking with a helicopter flight school owner I was informed that most students who achieve CFI rating only stick around and teach long enough to accumulate enough hours to be hired by a real company, I knew this but what I didn't know, schools -around here at least- seem to prefer a more mature and permanent in-house instructor. The feedback from prospective students is, they feel more comfortable with an older instructor rather than one as young if not younger, it is human psychology at its basics but very true. My age and gray hair are finally paying a dividend, who knew!?!

I was also advised to obtain my FAA Basic Ground Instructors Certificate which I fully intend to do. My reality is knowing I'll likely never sit in the right seat of a twin flying IFR or perhaps even a turbine for that matter and I'm fine with that. I am currently semi-retired and will soon be getting paid to do something I've dreamed about since 1968. I'm even seriously considering going back to school having just applied to Embry Riddle for an online Associates Degree in Aviation Management. I figure, if I'm going to do this I might as well go all in.

The cool thing about the flight school I'll be attending is they will soon have a brand new Cabri G2 in their fleet and I will gladly wait for its arrival before I begin flight training. I have been a huge fan of the G2 and I'm very pleased Guimbal finally received FAA certification this year. So, for those that think it can't be done after you get "old" think again. You may have to modify your plans and goals to accommodate your own reality but anything can be accomplished if you set your mind to it. Good luck!!!

Last edited by SeaMac; 18th May 2015 at 11:48.