PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Final season announced for Vulcan XH558
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2015, 18:21
Gsxr600

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Jekyll
The information is freely available from VTTS if you choose look at it.

1) The only engines approved for use in 558 are the original version of the Olympus. Unless you can find some in the back of a hangar correctly stored and with paperwork to prove it there are no more.

2) The CAA insisted on a very short engine life compared with original service use. This is about to expire.

3) The only body approved by the CAA to rebuild the engines is RR, and they aren't prepared to do so.
I have read this thanks, very familier with it. My point is that I don't think it's a case of lack of expertise or forgotten skills, perhaps not even money although I don't doubt it is not cheap. The point I was trying to make was that the similar marine and power generation Olympus is still in use and can be overhauled and up until recently Conways were overhauled for the VC10 fleet. I'd just like a bit more openness and honesty - do RR just not want to take the risk anymore? Has the 202 got parts that are completely different and impossible to manufacture at realistic expense? Not expecting to get an answer but genuinely interested in knowing. It seems to me that the engine situation isn't as impossible as it's made out just wonder what the background to not being able to have them overhauled.