PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Final season announced for Vulcan XH558
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2015, 16:04
Gsxr600

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's wonderful to have seen a Vulcan flying for 8 years. I never expected to see it fly out of Bruntingthorpe but was thrilled to see it in the air. Say what you want about the VTST but they did achieve that.

A few things trouble me/confuse me though which seem to be unanswered

The engine disaster was never fully explained - think it's now described as a servicing error. Umm, shocking carelessness I think.

Even with the loss of these engines, the marine Olympus is still in service around the world and up until very recently in the Navy. There's even a company in Aberdeen who advertise Olympus rebuilds. The marine version is very similar to the 202 so I don't see why it's such a skills shortage. After all the 6 or 7 they have left all have very few hours on them. Just feel we are not being told the whole story on the engines.

As for the Doncaster project I can't help thinking this is crazy. Who is going to pay for this facility long term? Visitors are not going to pay any more to go there than Southend and Wellesbourne but the costs of maintaining this facility will be much higher. It would be much more responsible to use the remaining funds to hangar it at Bruntingthorpe or even Elvington where the long term future seems safer. Even better see if they can use their fundraising to get a hangar over some of the other Vulcans.