PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Probably a noddy Q but.....
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2015, 15:47
Rossian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably a noddy Q but.....

.....I'll give you the abbreviated story.

My BB is CRAP. We are about 3 miles from the exchange with a mix of over/underground wires.

Average download speeds are around 0.45Mbs, so watching video clips is painful and iPlayer is out of the question.

My neighbour was sent an Openreach engineer yesterday by his ISP - BT. I joined the discussion as the chap tried to fettle the system. He wouldn't say anything to me as my ISP is TalkTalk.

Over many years, ISP says it's BT's fault, BT says talk to your ISP - me and my neighbours are piggies in the middle and neither party does anything.

I remembered the earlier discussions here about the BT iplate and looked them up. So I took off the lower half of the master box where the router is plugged in and replugged the router into the test socket. Instantly and for the rest of the evening and into the early hours it sat steadily at 2.6/up to about 2.9 and even this AM as the world was having its breakfast it was the same. It was even across speedtest.net and thinkbroadband.com.

The catch is of course the phones didn't work. Put the faceplate back and the speeds drop but the phone works so SWMBO is happy.

I realise that this is very simple to lots of peeps in here but for the rest of us - in words of one syllable........

Will fitting an iPlate have the same effect as plugging directly into the test socket?

The Ancient Mariner