PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Textron Introduces Diesel 172
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2015, 11:45
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well bugger me……….

I will try not to say it…..

Clearedtoreenter, I could answer that IF there was a sensible comparison to make. The bottom line is this, the STC for a 260HP IO540D4A5 (Comanche & RV10 engine basically) is the best fit for a C182.

It climbs like a love sick angel and LOP produces very good BSFC numbers (yes I do them) and its cost of operation is pretty darned good. The reliability is the best in all of GA and I don't think many will argue that one. It will not flame out with a TC problem or a simple intake leak.

I am not sure what I said previously in this thread but i reckon if you look back the story in avweb (which I also have not read yet) could be very interesting in terms of what is not said.

Cessna would be wise to go back to IO540's but not the 230HP version, the 260. Cost is the same and in cruise the fuel burn is the same as the 230, but you get far more climb. I happen to know the eta on this as a very good friend has one, late model and 260HP. We discussed this at OSH last year and he wrote the cheque, and has not stopped smiling since!

PS: My comment of the smarter of the two, only in terms of a payload capable plane in use in Africa or somewhere….not sure C172's with a TD are the go. But Cessna seem intent on releasing that. Go figure???

Last edited by Jabawocky; 16th May 2015 at 11:55.