PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SWA: widow says flight crew wouldn't let her call suicidal husband
Old 16th May 2015, 11:40
Capot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
, he/she has heard similar a thousand times before
I doubt that.

Perhaps all the cabin crew who have been confronted by a highly distressed passenger producing a text from a spouse saying "I'm about to kill myself" would now raise their right hands. Yup, thought so. Not very many.

As I said, I've been in the industry for 40 years, of which 20 were pretty much on the front line, and I have never seen or heard of anything remotely similar. You cannot excuse the FA on the grounds that he had seen it all 1,000 times before. He had not.

And, all he needed to do was call the flight deck and pass the problem to them. Why was that so difficult?

I have to tell you that if i got a text from Mrs C, while in a jet taxying out to the holding point, saying that she's had enough and is going to kill herself, and the cabin crew said, in effect; "Tough, our schedule is far more important than your wife's life, turn your phone off NOW, siddown and shut up," I would run amok, partly as a way to get offloaded immediately, but mostly through frustrated rage. So would many people posting here defending the FA, I suspect. And if not, they should.