PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 16th May 2015, 09:52
TheChitterneFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once again in Belize... having poked my head into the nosewheel bay to check the brake accumulator pressure, there was a beastie sat atop of the nosewheel and, being initially alarmed at what it might be, I split my head open whilst retreating in haste. The beastie turned out to be only a "stick insect"! Much mirth all around! I had heard of many other horror stories involving snakes, though, I never did see one in or around the gear.

However, from the rooftop of our hotel in Kathmandu (Op Khana Cascade) one morning whilst having a morning smoke and a cuppa prior to pickup, the hotel staff were fishing out a huge boa constrictor from the swimming pool!

Oh, and on another occasion... on Ambergris Key, when walking along the pier after a fishing trip, the hotel gopher picked up a sea snake with his toes and lobbed it into the air; which ended-up hitting one of our guys on his bare chest. Thankfully, it didn't get the opportunity to take a bite and it fell back into the water. The Nav prodded it with a long stick and it got very pissed-off as it took a bite at the stick. From then onwards I never did take a swim off the jetty again. That was on a one week stopover when there was civil unrest within Belize City and the skipper declared that it was in our best interest to move out of The Fort George Hotel. We (Aunty Betty) rented four light aircraft to take us across to Ambergris Key. Having loaded up our puddle jumper with luggage and beer it then tipped onto its tail! The local pilot said it would be OK when he got aboard to balance it up; which it did. Our take-off run took forever to get airborne and the approach to the grass strip on Ambergris was... interesting! Mind you, we did have Pete F***r on board!