PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 16th May 2015, 09:26
AA350XWB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few questions related to becoming an airline pilot

Hello folks,

I am a second year university student (B.E Computers) and wanted to know how do I pursue my dream of becoming a pilot.

I did some research around but still have some confusion regarding licenses, Institutes and other stuff.

So here are my questions,

1)So far what I've read here and other websites the path to becoming a pilot is SPL>PPL>CPL>ATPL(After 1500Hrs of flying).?
2)Type Rating means that you're authorized to fly that type of aircraft.?
3)Instrument rating is to be done only once?
4)Every six months you go through a fitness test or some sort of test so that the airlines can be sure that you're fit to fly?

Now coming to the training part..

• Since I have a degree in Computer Engineering, would getting a degree in some aviation stream made any difference? Basically the point of getting my degree is (1)Fail-safe option (2)My parent's don't have enough money for full flight training. So my plan was to work for 2 or odd years after my degree, save up some money and cost will be divided 50-50.
  • Now about the institute, a few weeks ago I had emailed CTC aviation and they quoted 85,000pounds ~ 85 lacs Indian Rupees which is tooooo damn high!(like Audi A6 high!). Goggling results in some famous top institutes to a shady flying school in some deep corner of the country which is very confusing/. Mostly I do not want my training in India and want to go abroad. Some countries which offer good training will be sufficient. I'm taking German Language next semester so can it be helpful somehow?
  • Also can someone explain the licenses stuff? Is it correct that If I've got an FAA license I can only fly in the US? EASA means only Europe? Then what about Asia? I also read about license conversion, what is that?
  • I know that after training I'm definitely not gonna get a job right-away so what are some tips to get that "first" job?
I had a few more questions(less important) that I'll ask later.

But if someone could guide me or show a way it would be very helpful. I don't come from a family of pilots so I have no practical knowledge, just what I read on the Internet.

P.S I want to become a pilot because It's my passion /dream. It's not about the money. I'm ready to face the initial struggle.

Last edited by AA350XWB; 22nd May 2015 at 13:08.