PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 16th May 2015, 08:41
TheChitterneFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On a trip to the "skid strip" at Cape Canaveral to offload some torpedoes for the Navy, we had arrived early and that the Navy vehicles were still en-route from XYZ to offload them from the aeroplane. Because it was only supposed to be a tech-stop to drop off the load, it was decided that the crew would go to the beach for a swim and a bite to eat. However, one of us had to remain at the aeroplane and so, we drew lots to decide who would stay behind. I (ENG) drew the short straw!

We were parked in the middle of a huge circular ramp and, after half an hour or so, I decided to take a stroll to the edge of the ramp for a smoke. Having got half way across the ramp I heard a vehicle (sirens bellowing) approaching behind me. It was the security guard from a small gatehouse at the entry to the ramp area. "Get in", said the security geezer. Whilst then driving back to his gatehouse he explained that alligators were nesting within the ramp-side drainage ditches! Having arrived at the air-conditioned gatehouse; where we both had a smoke and a cup of coffee; he then asked me if I'd like to see "Matilda"... a nesting alligator? Indeed I would. He pulled out his sidearm and said, "Follow me". Beneath the gatehouse was a drain that went beneath the access road and right there, honest to God, were two yellow blinking eyes within the darkness of the pipe! Having then retreated back to his truck to drive me back to the aeroplane, "Matilda" appeared from the pipe. The said beastie was about fifteen feet long. The security guards parting words, as he dropped me off at the aeroplane, were, "Those critters can run faster than you can so don't even think about going off for a stroll again. If you want another smoke, turn on your Anti-Coll lights and I'll come and pick you up"!

During the next half-hour, just as the Navy trucks appeared, three of those critters came out of hiding to see what was going on. That was when the cavalry arrived to keep the critters at bay!

I drew the short straw... it could've been the last one!

Ciao