PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 16th May 2015, 08:05
TheChitterneFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do recall a trip to Belize where myself and the Loady had completed the pre-flight and we were sat on the ramp having a cuppa when we then heard the sound of "clickerty click" brown brogues approaching the aircraft. It surely had to be an Army "hossifer" who had suitably dressed for air travel? He was carrying a shoe box, punched with holes in the side and tied up with string, which suggested that it contained something "alive and well". He asked if he might put it somewhere "safe" until he had checked-in through the passenger terminal. The Loady, D***h H*****d, asked him what was in the box. To which the hofficer replied, "Just a couple of spiders". I'll take care of that, says D***h, just pop the box onto the ground right here. The said hofficer then clickerty clacked across the ramp towards the terminal building. D***h drained his cup, stood up, and then jumped off the ramp and onto the box... jumping up and down onto the box several times for good measure. We're not having those two crawling around the freight bay coz we don't have any bicycle clips in the pack-up to respond to the "Beasty Loose on the Flight Deck Checklist"! I don't recall the outcome of what the conversation between the said hofficer and the Loady might have been; I was just pleased that it had been dealt with so delicately.

There was another incident in Belize where one of the crew didn't have an en-suite bathroom at the Fort George. Apparently, there was a huge spider in the corridor bathroom and he therefore took a dump into a sock and chucked it out of his bedroom window. Unbeknown to him, in the dark, there were holes in the toes and it was only the next morning where the evidence of swinging the sock around his head, prior to lobbing it out of the window, were visible on the walls of his hotel room!